Thank you for your interest in pursuing a career with The Eli and Edythe Broad Foundation.
REPORTS TO: President of The Broad Foundation
CLASSIFICATION: Full-time, exempt
DATE POSTED: Jan. 2018
DATE AVAILABLE: Immediately
Philanthropists Eli and Edythe Broad founded The Eli and Edythe Broad Foundation to advance entrepreneurship for the public good in education, science and the arts. The foundation has created groundbreaking independent institutions in each of its three investment areas, including The Broad Center, which develops leaders to help transform America’s urban public schools, The Broad Institute, a global leader in genomics, and The Broad, a museum in downtown Los Angeles devoted to showcasing great contemporary art.
The Eli and Edythe Broad Foundation is looking for a Deputy Director to work with the President of the Foundation across all areas of philanthropic focus and organizational operations. The position will be responsible for driving the execution of the President’s objectives both within the organization and with external partners by following through on management, operational and programmatic priorities.
Deputy Director responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
• Co-leading programmatic projects for which the President is responsible
• Working with President to manage critical grantee and partner relationships
• Acting as representative of the President both internally and externally, as needed
• Supporting the workload of the President and prioritization of time by managing information flow, resolving issues, providing analysis and advice on key issues
• Playing an essential role in building and carrying the culture and values of the Foundation
• Partnering with the Director of Communications to extend the messaging of the Foundation/President both internally and externally
• Interacting with, and providing counsel to, Director of HR, Director of IT, Foundation education staff and other direct reports to the President
The successful candidate will have:
• A bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university
• Minimum 10 years of successful management experience
• Experience running a complex organization as part of the management team
• Fluency across key operational areas such as budget analysis, HR, IT and knowledge of how foundations function
• Ability to use quantitative and qualitative data to present options for decision-making
• Ability to juggle multiple competing demands and set priorities in a fast-paced environment while maintaining superb attention to detail
• Exceptional interpersonal skills including strong written and oral verbal communication and ability to positively engage with individuals with a range of backgrounds
• Demonstrated ability to build authentic partnerships, to collaborate and to work with efficiency and diplomacy
• Demonstrated ability to work both autonomously and as part of a team, always with flexibility, enthusiasm and determination
• Spanish fluency preferred
In addition, the candidate must be:
• Deeply committed to the Foundation’s mission of expanding learning opportunities for K-12 public school students, increasing public access to the visual and performing arts, and supporting scientists in their efforts to find cures for disease
• A tenacious and skillful facilitator and problem solver, with the ability to anticipate issues before they arise and prioritize them appropriately once they do
• A good listener who can be both empathetic and pragmatic
• Organized and capable of functioning in a dynamic environment with a can-do attitude
• A trusted colleague with good instincts and strong personal and intellectual integrity
Employment is contingent upon a satisfactory background and reference check. You must be legally authorized to work in the United States.
This position is based in Los Angeles, California. Regular attendance in-office is required.
Compensation is competitive and commensurate with skills and experience. The foundation offers excellent benefits including a variety of health plans and a 401(k) plan.
To be considered for this position, please upload your letter of interest and resume here. We will only contact candidates chosen for further consideration. No phone inquiries please.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The Eli and Edythe Broad Foundation does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, ethnic or national origin, ancestry, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, medical condition (as defined by California law), genetic information, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable law with regard to employment opportunities.
The statements in this description represent typical elements, criteria and general work performed. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required for the job.
Click here to view job postings for The Broad Center.
Click here to view job postings for The Broad.